7.22.2009

it's official

This won't be much of a post, but I wanted to let you know that after months of contemplation, discussion, and prayer (not in that order!), Mr. B and I have made a decision. We are going to homeschool Evie in the fall. Poor Evie missed the Kindergarten cut-off by three days last year, and around these parts, those Kindergarten cut-offs are pretty strict and serious. (Except, of course, at the private school where my sister was teaching; but I didn't discover that until the third month of school or something.) Because she was so ready for school despite her actual birth date, we went ahead and did some school at home: I called it preschool, but used Kindergarten material. I was really down on myself because I wasn't as structured or scheduled as I'd originally hoped; but looking back, I realize she has learned a lot! Mr. B and I are not choosing homeschool this year because we want to hide Evie from anything. Rather, we feel led to homeschool for what we can give her at home. Believe me, I see and know the merits of public and private school. This has not been a simple decision! But for us--at least for this year!--it is the right decision. So, that's all the official news I have for now. Oh--except it looks like my sister, Molly, has been reading my blog. Yay! (Howdy, Molly!) I'm hoping to start updating more regularly again. My sister, Sarah, is really good about keeping her blog current. You should check her out...she's so good that my dad even follows her blog! Maybe one day I'll be as worthy, but I don't want to make him be one of my followers... (Molly, was that passive-aggressive enough???)

5 comments:

  1. Howdy... again. :0)

    Evie will have an AWESOME kindergarten teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I can't tell you how much I love that you're reading this, Mole! And thanks for the encouragement. I know you were really hoping we'd send her across town to Mrs. Janschek's class, but I think this'll be good, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although Mrs. Janschek ROCKS as a kindergarten teacher, I favor Evie's current kindergarten teacher. :) I really liked the kind things you said about Westminster. Honestly, I think that if a parent has the gift of teaching and has the God-given circumstances to homeschool, I'm in favor of homeschooling. One day your girls will know how lucky they were (are) to get to have YOU for a mom and Mr. B for a dad! I really learn a lot from you two, and it was neat to experience with you and read how the two of you prayed so hard about what to do school-wise. I really admire you guys. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, poor Evie needs a really GOOD teacher to help her with those quadratic equations and to master several foreign languages. She just doesn't seem to move very fast in those areas.

    (BTW-- I HAVE been following, but just hadn't gone public with it!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a homeschool mom, I have to say, you won't regret homeschooling Evie! I taught two of ours how to read, it's an expierence you will never forget or get over. When they read their first word you can say, "Hey I taught them that!" Soo exciting!

    ReplyDelete